Monday, September 05, 2005

8 Bhat, Some Meal Worms and a Cig.

Chilled at the Tiny Corner after we had eaten last night. Paul was there, and we were soon joined by the Thai's we'd met the previous night. They brought food to share, but having just eaten we kindly refused their offer to eat with them.

However when the 'bug lady' turned up, I jumped up and had a look at what was on offer in the world culinary insect eating. I plumped for a tray of meal worms. A good beer snack I felt. Offered around the table, I found that I was alone in partaking of the delicacy.

A lady came by selling flowers. As usual we said "mai" shook our heads and smiled, but not daunted she stood her ground. I offered some of my meal worms, and she gladly had some. Soon I found myself getting an unrequested neck and shoulder massage. Pleasant enough an experience, while chatting with friends, enjoying a beer and my new found 'beer snacks'.

She finished, and asked for payment. 30 bhat. Negotiations ensued. I dug in my pocket. Apart from big notes I only had 8 bhat in change. This I gave her. I also offered her the last of the meal worms. She accepted. Then pointing and making smoking a cigarette actions, we closed the deal. So 8 bhat, some meal worms and a cig for a neck and shoulder massage, was not a bad deal in the end.

To American guys joined us at the bar. Walter, was a typically big brash yank. Atlanta born, he lived in New York since he was 18. A photographers assistant, who'd given up the U.S. life and was now bumming about in Chang Mai. The other guy, I can't think that I caught his name, was quieter, a surf dude type. Also Ulff a Swedish traveler sat with us. He'd been living on Venice Beach in California, doing a variety of jobs. He'd come to teach here in Thailand, but due to some internal politics at the school there was no job when he got here. So he's heading back to Sweden, he was last there 10 years ago.

We sorted out getting our Laos visa today. It will be ready on Thursday, so that's a few more days bumming around Chang Mai. We have not yet decided how we are going to get into Laos. There are organised trips, the guest house can arrange for us. We are going to spend the next few days investigating the best option to take.

2 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, very nice! My site relating to treat dog heart disease is about treat dog heart disease related issues. Please feel free to check it out.

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading it. Won't say anything about the bugs!! All sounds good, carry on, enjoy. Guess what Eve's parcel arrived back today. Will keep it for you. Also received the postcard. Thanks. Look forward to reading some more. Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home