Monday, September 05, 2005

Bug Eating.

In Chang Mai. A hair raising bus ride, but we made it. I read a whole novel and a half, and Sam spent half her time not quite understanding a Thai Army sergeant who was sat across from us. All we really got was that he fought in Vietnam and Laos, and killed communists. In 3 days I managed to get through 3 novels, I've been reading a collection of Richard Brautigan novels, Confederate General From Big Sur, Dreaming Of Babylon and The Hawkline Monster. Fantastic stuff, I want to read more of his writing.

Here in Chang Mai there are loads of book shops, where you can exchange books you've finished with. So in the next few days I'll be hitting a few book shops I think. We plan to stay here a while, as this is the best place to sort out our Laos visa. It takes about 3 working days for it to come through.

I bought an English paper this morning, to catch up on the U.K. Unfortunately it was the International Express, it was all they had. I see not much is going on back at home. Most interesting stories was about the idea of sticking the Beatles on the back of a 20 pound note, and the idea of introducing a 99p coin!!!

Anyway like I say we arrived last night, found a decent guest house for 200 bhat a night, and then headed out for food. We had our weekly food treat, and splashed out at a Jewish / Middle Eastern place. Still only cost us a fiver in total. Heading back we decided to have a drink at what claims to be the may the smallest bar in the world! Tiny Corner, a nice little place. Happily chilling we got talking to a guy called Paul. He knew of Hull, and when we said where we were from he repeated 'ull back to us in a cracking attempt at a Hull accent. Apparently he had spent time in Lincolnshire working as a youth worker.

While sat outside the bar the 'bug lady' pulled up her stall. Some of the Thai women got a selection of insects and meal worms, and I got my first chance to give them a go. The meal worms were really nice, and I look forward to having some more tonight. The cricket was a bit too crunchy, the legs got stuck in my teeth, and it had a strange taste. Not unpleasant, but strange none the less. I also tried some little beetle thing, but by the time I'd peeled of the hard shell there wasn't much left. I did however, draw the line at the giant cockroach looking thing she offered me. It was as big as my hand, and pretty nasty looking. All good fun never-the-less, and glad that I finally gor to give eating insects a go.

We went to the large Sunday market they have just up from where we are staying. Loads of stuff, some really beautiful pieces. I picked up a light long sleeve top (90 bhat), and some other bits and pieces. I got Sam a real jade bangle that she had her eye on. They wouldn't budge much on the price and we got it for 380 bhat, which still only about a fiver in Old Blighty money.

Anyway that's about it for tonight. Would like to here from people though, just to know if anyone is reading the blog, or am I just talking to myself here?! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home