Saturday, January 07, 2006

Koh Tao

We made it yesterday to Koh Tao. We'd got the train the night before from Bangkok down to Champhon. The next moring Sam and I got the early catamaran to Koh Tao, the guys followed us later in the day.

My first impressions of the island were, what a shit-hole. Over development means that many of the resorts have encrotched right up to the edge of the sea. It's quite messy, and disrespectful to what could be such a beautiful island paradise.

All they really care about is diving. Everyone runs a diving school. Not something I'll be doing, I think. One it's too bloody expensive for our meager budget, and two I'm not a confident enough swimmer to try. My distinct lack of coordination is a major disability, so I think I'll stick to paddling around in the shallows.

We had an okay day yesterday and the night time sat on the beach was pretty cool. Lots of fire-sticks being thrown around, lots of candles and lanterns. Also it meant that you couldn't see all the ugly buildings.

I think Brendon is hiring a motorbike today and we are going to explore the rest of the island, to see if it's any better further afield. If so then we'll move accomodation for a couple of nights. Then we plan to head for Koh Pang Gan for the full-moon party of the 13th. The ultimate in beach parties, famous throughout the world. It's got to be done, especially when we are just across the water from the place.

After that I think we may nip to Koh Samui for a day or two. We can fly from there to Singapore to get the plane to Oz. It will probably work out as cheap to do that, and a lot less hassle than a mad overland run down through Malaysia. I've enjoyed all the over-land travel we have done, but the long stretches we have done recently really take it out of you. I'd much rather spend the time on a beach and pay that little bit extra to hop right into Singapore.

Anyway, off now. Sam is not feeling too good today. Think she ate soomething bad. No major problem, it's chucking it down outside. (Oh, it's just stopped!) As I was saying, not a major problem. She can lay around all day and watch HBO. Thank god we have a TV in our room!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home